Skogafoss is a popular waterfall, with close access to the Ring Road. This one had its pluses and one big minus.
Location: Southern coast of Iceland, just off the Ring Road. Google maps location for Skogafoss.
Our lodging was west of Vik, so we made an evening trip to Skogafoss and saved nearby Seljalandsfoss for the next morning.
- Accessible. Skogafoss is close to the Ring Road.
- You can get close to the waterfall at both the bottom and the top.
- Potential for a great sunset photo from the top platform.
- The big one: While a beautiful waterfall, Skogafoss seemed to be the most impacted by man’s footprint. Campers were set up a few hundred feet away. Lodging and a restaurant are also closeby. That’s great if you are a camper or hotel guest. That’s not great if you want to enjoy the serenity of Skogafoss.
- The stairs to the top could be tough for some visitors.
- Not a big fan of the Hotel Skogafoss Bistro restaurant. Dining in Iceland is expensive, which we understand. Dining here is a ripoff.